Bolton 0-0 Charlton- Match Report

Charlton relegated after draw at BoltonCharlton's stay in the Sky Bet Championship is over after Jose Riga's side failed to beat already-doomed Bolton at the Macron Stadium.The Addicks had to take three points off Wanderers to stand any chance of remaining in the game's second tier.But a drab 0-0 draw means the teams meet again next season in League One and given the poor quality served up it was not difficult to see why both are heading in the wrong direction.Defender David Wheater's second half header, superbly saved by Nick Pope, was the closest either side came to breaking the deadlock.Wanderers had made a positive start but Mark Davies and Zach Clough unleashed under-strength shots that did not trouble Pope.Charlton lacked urgency despite the fate awaiting them though they did finally produce a shot on target after 24 minutes.Striker Simon Makienok was left unmarked in the six yard box but from Marco Motta's right wing centre his header went straight into the gloves of Ben Amos.Charlton, who started the season with an unbeaten run of six games in league and cup, were marginally the more inventive though there was very little to choose between two sub-standard sides.Ademola Lookman, who scored twice when the teams met at The Valley last December, fired into row Z of the Community Stand as the game meandered towards half-time.Clough did get the ball in the net as a shot ricocheted into his path off defender Rod Fanni but he was stood in an offside position.It was no surprise when a chorus of boos from a meagre Macron Stadium greeted the teams as they trudged off.The home side looked most likely to break the stalemate in the second half.Wheater's header from Clough's corner was heading for the top corner until Hope stuck out a glove to deflect the ball away for a corner.Wheater had another effort deflected for another corner while Clough curled a right foot shot wide of Pope's goal.And Charlton were fortunate not to go down to 10 men when Jorge Teixeira, as the last man, appeared to hold back Emile Heskey in the centre circle.Teixeira escaped any punishment but Charlton soon tried to change their fortunes bringing on Callum Harriott followed by Alou Diarra in quick succession.But the changes did not work as Amos was a virtual spectator, though he did keep one effort out from Lookman.The best chances came Bolton's way, notably when full-back Oscar Threlkeld, in his first game for Wanderers since last May, threaded the ball across the penalty area but skipper Darren Pratley could not toe poke it beyond Pope.Lively substitute Kaiyne Woolery, a replacement for 38-year-old Heskey, fired into the side netting.But while Bolton ended a run of six successive defeats, a point was no consolation for Charlton

Source : PA

Source: PA