Bolton take MLS striker on trial
Updated Thursday, 19th January 2012
Bolton manager Owen Coyle has confirmed striker Sebastian Le Toux has joined the club for a week's training.
Le Toux has made a big impact in Major League Soccer with the Philadelphia Union and, following the success of Stuart Holden and the impending arrival of United States defender Tim Ream, Coyle wants to have a look at the 28-year-old before deciding whether to make a move.
"We have received good reports about Sebastian, so we thought we would give him an opportunity to come into the group," confirmed Coyle. "He will train with us for a week and we will see where we are after that."
Coyle confirmed he was edging closer to signing Ream, who would be a direct replacement for Gary Cahill, although the transfer from the New York Red Bulls is not concluded just yet.
"It is close but we need everything in place before we can announce it," said the Scot.
Coyle admitted he would prefer to sign English players but claimed he had to go for value as he tries to steer Bolton clear of relegation trouble.
"Ideally, you would love to have English players but you have to look to the market place to get the best you can," he said. "If that means going to the United States, that is what we will do."
Coyle confirmed veteran keeper Jussi Jaaskelainen had returned to training but after missing four weeks with a thigh injury, youngster Adam Bogdan is likely to retain his place for Saturday evening's clash with Liverpool at the Reebok Stadium.
That will see young forward David Ngog face his old club for the first time since his £4million move from the Merseyside giants in August.
"David is getting stronger," said Coyle, of the 22-year-old, who has scored only twice in 20 appearances for the Trotters so far. "That is a positive sign for us as we head into the second half of the season."